Recommended Foreign Film- City of God

2:20 PM

CITY OF GOD/CIDADE DE DEUS


Photo: blog.utc.edu
Based in the slums of Rio de Janeiro, this Brazilian film tells the tale of two young boys growing up in the violent city; one becoming a photographer while the other becomes a drug dealer. The film was nominated for four Oscars which is incredibly impressive considering many of the characters are not actors but locals to the community.

What strikes me about this film was that the story told by these actors was the story they lived. Poverty, crime, love, gangs-- each topic based on a true story.  The film breaks down into several stories all stretching across a timeline of the 1960's to the 1980's. 

City of God is rated r and is in Portuguese.  In my Tumblr days (yes, we have all had them) I happened to see a GIF of a scene from the movie and decided to watch it on YouTube.  I never finished it then. By chance I stumbled upon it again in my college's library last year and thought it was fate! I finished it and have fallen in love with the movie. It has become one of my favorites in the drama genre. 

There is also a documentary entitled City of God-Ten Years Later.

Definitely a must see.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images