10 Ways To Make A Strangers Day

9:17 AM


We're experts at being nice to our friends and loved ones (when we want to) but when was the last time you made a stranger's day? From dishing out a little cash to doing small free things, here are 10 ways and examples of how to make a strangers day:

1. Pay For Them

It's not everyday that we have someone randomly pay for something that we were going to purchase for ourselves anyway. It's a nice feeling. The next time you're at Noodles & Co. pay for the person behind you. See someone in line at the store with one item in their hands, pay for it. 

2. Give Them A Blank Card

This one is inspired by seeing a post-it note in the restroom that read "You are beautiful". Hand a stranger a card with a handwritten inspiring message inside. I always believe the best inspiration comes just when you really need it. If you frequent some place regularly (say a classroom) place the card on some one's seat who always sits in the same spot.

3. Share Your Coupons

I have way too many rewards/coupons that I don't really use so I'll share them with someone. Victoria's Secret sent me three offers for shopping with them but I didn't need anymore impulse shopping from them so I handed them to the next person in line or the first person I saw in the store if I'm in the area. Why let them expire when someone else can use it. PLUS Victoria's Secret sends you more and more because they think you're using them.

4. Spark A Conversation

I'm at the gym, the last place you usually want a stranger to interrupt you, and I see a guy stretching and it made me think "wow, he probably does yoga". So I said just that to him and we had a quick conversation of how he was 50 something and in the best shape of his life, which indeed he was.  Turns out he doesn't do yoga so I invited him to the gym's Saturday morning yoga class.

5. Give Them Something

I complimented a little girl on her balloon just to be nice. Five minutes later she finds me again and hands me the balloon followed by her baby brother offering up his too with a smiling mother standing in the near distance. Of course I told them they could keep them ("ohhh you shouldn't have!) and thanked them but they insisted that I could have them. Little children are so precious! I really did not want the balloons so when those two were out of sight I gave the balloons to two children who were equally nice and had randomly started speaking with me. Re-gifting at it's finest.

6. Give A Compliment

Don't just spew off compliments you don't really mean. You liked that girl's sweater so why don't you just tell her? Maybe she'll have a cool story about it, but most of all it'll secretly make her day.

7. Tip Well

Actually no, don't tip well, tip very well. If you have an awesome waiter let them know and maybe even tell their manager. It helps. I recently went out to dinner and spilled my drink literally everywhere. I meant to tip the waitress extremely well but I had such a great time at dinner that by the end I had forgotten it even happened so I only tipped the usual. Shame on me.

8. Point Out The Beautiful Things In Life 

See a beautiful sunset, flower, or just a happy baby? Point it out to a stranger. Everyone needs to see the beauty in life.

9. Vote/Listen

I know many artistic people who share their art with the world. Sometimes it is annoying, other times inspiring. Click on that link of their music they just sent to you or vote for your friend's friend as he tries to make it in a modeling contest. They won't know you did it but when they see that someone actually voted for them or listened to their project it'll make a difference.

10. Compliment Online

Online bullying is something that can be even more harmful than bullying someone you know. It is a shame that people think they can simply leave a rude comment to someone just because they are "shielded" by a computer screen. The next time you come across a blog (hint hint, this one maybe), or YouTube video leave a nice comment. Don't have anything nice to say? Leave a constructive comment. 



Give without expecting anything in return.

photo: powertochange.com

What acts of kindness have you done lately to make a stranger smile? Comment below.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images