Spontaneity in NYC

12:09 AM

It all started with a text: "do you want to go to NYC with me?".  It was 11pm on a Friday night and my sister was asking did I want to tag along with her to New York City the next morning. My answer was of course and the journey begins...


We arrived at our hotel near Times Square and immediately had to part ways. My sister had a fashion show to attend as a photographer and I had zero plans.

What was a girl to do in NYC? Let me tell you...



If you read my other post about going to New York Fashion Week (NYFW) and Art On The Brain you'd know that I went to the MoMA. Well MoMA, I'm back! I didn't get to finish it the first time so I purchased a ticket using my handy student ID (yay) and finished all five floors. AMAZING!

I caught up with my sister just as she was ending her show and we headed to Times Square. As we're walking back to the hotel we stop at a cross walk and I realize I am standing right next to models (Shaun Ross with boyfriend Devin Wesley, along with model Joel Mignott) who had just left NYFW and needless to say I HAD to speak to them so I did while inside I was jumping up and down. 

Later that night we met up for dinner with our friend at The Smith in the Upper West Side. I ordered the tagliatelle which consists of black pasta and shrimp. It was amazing!

The next morning we headed to 
Fashion Shenzhen fashion show at Skylight at Moynihan Station (no more Lincoln Center fashion shows). Fashion Shenzhen is a program that showcases fashion from that city. Just before we made it to the show a man wearing a suit, hat, and carrying an old late 1950's press camera calls out to my sister, "you're not going to take my picture?". We make conversation with the interesting man and find out that he is a famous NYC photographer, Louis Mendes. Please google him. 


Photo taken by Louis Mendes. Sept 13, NYC. (left to right: myself, my sister, and a student of Louis).

After the show we headed to Brooklyn with instructions from Louis that the ESSENCE Street Style Block Party was located near the Manhattan Bridge.

Please check out more photos from my spontaneous NYC trip below:



 Louis Mendes
 Fashion Shenzhen fashion show finale
Post fashion show

Tip: if you are traveling and have a late check in at your hotel you can ask them to store your luggage for you until check in so you can explore whatever city you're in without lugging around bags. It works like a coat check.

What do you do when you visit NYC? Leave a comment!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images