Art On The Brain: Artscape, The MoMA, The MoBIA, Guggenheim

10:02 AM

Art! Art! Art!

If you are anything like me, you live and breathe art; music, paintings, sculptures, you name it.  Art can be defined as "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination..." which, when you think about it, is limitless. Art is everywhere we go and we can not escape it.  You can find it in the architecture of any building, the graphic design in your favorite magazine or website, the curvature and aesthetic beauty of a guitar, and even in the scribble of a child's drawing against a freshly painted wall.  Art expresses everything we wish we could say, do, and see. Art is life, our lives are art.

My recent encounters with art events:

Artscape


photo: artscape.org

I enjoy volunteering and giving back so I decided last summer that I would like to volunteer for Artscape, America's largest free arts festival.  The festival is located in Baltimore, MD each year and welcomes more than 150 artists and more than 350,000 attendees to enjoy the festivities. Exhibits, live outdoor concerts, and street theatre give Artscape its magical touch. Last year I volunteered at the 10,000 Brushes Mural where attendees could contribute by helping paint large murals alongside the artist. I always admired that this small event in some one's life could have a lasting positive affect on them, maybe even growing up to become an artist themselves. I will definitely be volunteering at Artscape again summer 2014.

The MoMA


Photo: moma.org

The MoMA happens to stand for the museum of modern art.  While visiting NYC this past February I headed here (perfect place for a date...with yourself) because well, it's a must see. The MoMa has featured art from Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso, to Salvador Dali. Artists you've never heard before are sure to turn into your favorites overnight after visiting the MoMA. The atmosphere is crowded with people from near and far. The museum towers four massive floors allowing visitors to view pop art, conceptual art, to surrealism. Photographs and student discounts are allowed here so live it up! It is a dream land and considering I did not get a chance to finish viewing everything I will be back. Hasta la vista!

The MoBIA


photo: mobia.org

The MoBIA, museum of biblical art, differs greatly from the MoMA, as one could probably assume yet both located in NYC. The MoBIA is very small but free, because don't we love free. I visited the Take Me To The Water exhibition in its last month available for view at the museum.  The exhibition was a simple slide show with photographs depicting baptism from 1890 to 1950. I wish the museum were a lot larger but for what it is worth I am glad I visited.

Guggenheim


photo: bc.edu

The Solomon R. Guggenheim is an internationally renowned art museum as well as an admiration of an architectural building. When you get inside you will quickly notice that the interior is spiral. While visiting I was able to view Three Decades of Photography and Video by Carrie Mae Weems (the perfect date... except this time I was with a friend). We lucked up and attended on a night where admission was pay what you wish. 

Have you visited any of these museums? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images