Washington, D.C. Day Trip

4:20 PM

I took another day trip to D.C. yesterday. This seems to be a reoccurring thing in my life. Instead of yoga, breakfast at Art & Soul, museums, and lunch I did metro, gardens, museum, gardens, lunch, museum, museum, and home!  It was great:

I live about an hour away from D.C. and I have realized how great of a city it is and have decided to take advantage of this. Myself and another person traveled to Shady Grove to catch the metro into D.C.  Now I had never taken the D.C. metro before. It's different from Baltimore's and different from NYC's. (NYC's scares me by the way. I have to get used to it). The metro ride turned out to be easy and to the point. We got off at the closest metro to the U.S. Capitol because the Botanic Gardens was going to be our first stop. While on the way there we saw the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden which is absolutely gorgeous!

I snapped this photo of Robert Indiana's "Amor" sculpture. He is better known for his famous "Love" sculpture located in many cities such as NYC, Philly, and Singapore.


The garden's fountain serves as an ice rink in the winter so it's definitely a cool place to visit. Check it out!

Since we were so close to the National Gallery of Art we decided to head there. I knew that this museum was home to the only original Leonardo da Vinci piece in the United States so I was on a mission to find it the moment we walked in. The museum is gorgeous; a huge fountain decorates the middle while marble pillars, wooden paneling, and fireplaces added to the rich decor. Pictured below is da Vinci's piece entitled "Ginevra de' Benci".


Moving along to our next destination, we headed to the U.S. Botanic Gardens. I had been there once but hadn't seen the entire thing. It is worth seeing multiple times. They have different permanent exhibitions that feature plants from Hawaii, the desert, the jungle, and much more. My favorite was the Orchids Exhibition.


The above photo was taken at the entrance of the gardens.

We were basically starving by this time on our trip so we stopped at a food truck, yuck right? No it was delicious. We both love Indian food so we decided to try it and it was amazing. I got tikka masala.

NEXT STOP: The National Museum of The American Indian. I was dying to go to this museum for two reasons: it's a museum so I need to see it right, and two, my grandmother's mother was part Navajo. The museum was interesting enough but there were more exhibitions focused on modern day Native Americans than anything. This is fine, just not what I was expecting. I would love to take my grandmother here, she'd love it. I also took note that the architecture was the same as the Guggenheim museum that I visited earlier this year in NYC. The NMAI has a phenomenal children's section.

photo: pixdaus.com

Our last stop of the day happened to be the National Air and Space Museum which was jam packed with people, information, and exhibits. Their collection is immaculate but my favorite was the Wright's Brother's exhibition. The original 1903 Wright Flyer even serves as the centerpiece in the room. The museum is also home to an Imax theatre and an awesome museum store.

photo: http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/mall/

All of these museums are free so be sure to visit!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images